What is Gold Pass?
Visit California's Gold Pass is a program designed to help destination partners collaborate in bringing domestic journalists to the Golden State. For qualifying applicants, Visit California will provide airfare and car rental or mileage assistance for editorial research trips.
There is no substitute for the resulting coverage after a journalist experiences California firsthand. Carefully arranged media FAMs by Visit California and its destination partners result in incremental editorial coverage that aligns with destination brand traits, broadens a targeted consumer’s awareness of California travel offerings and drives trip consideration.
How does Visit California's Gold Pass work?
A limited number of Gold Passes are available during the 2015/16 fiscal year. The following criteria must be met for successful applicants:
- Journalist must have: a confirmed assignment; recent editorial placements; a sustained relationship with a "most wanted" media outlet identified by Visit California; or be a targeted digital influencer.
- Proposed itinerary for the visiting journalist or digital influencer must incorporate at least three DMO areas and generate editorial coverage for each area visited.
- A full list of guidelines and restrictions can be found here.
Other considerations made by Visit California when awarding these passes include:
- Number of previously approved applications by submitting DMO(s)
- Incorporation of destination partners outside California’s gateway cities in proposed itineraries
Ready to apply?
When you're ready to apply for a Gold Pass, go here.
If you have additional questions please contact Visit California Domestic Public Relations Manager Kristen Bonilla.