Economic Impact of Travel in California
Projected 2014 Highlights (source: Dean Runyan Associates)
- Total direct travel spending in California was $117.5 billion in 2014, a 3.6% increase from 2013.
- Travel spending in California directly supported 1,027,000 jobs, with earnings of $38.1 billion.
- Travel spending in 2014 generated $4.2 billion in local taxes and $5.1 billion in state taxes.
View the complete California Travel Impacts 1992-2014p report by Dean Runyan Associates
View previous years: 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007
Interactive County Travel Impact Reports
Create your own charts and tables showing statewide or specific county travel spending, jobs, and tax impacts.
(source: Dean Runyan Associates)
Quarterly Travel Search Trends (nSight)
View the most recent report here: Q3 2015
View previous reports: Q2 2015, Q1 2015, Q4 2014, Q3 2014
Travel & Tourism Forecasts
View the most recent reports below:
Domestic Travel to California
California was the destination for a million domestic person-trips in 2013. A person-trip is defined as a visitor trip made to a specific location and does not tally multiple stops within the specified location on a single trip. In previous years, Visit California reported domestic travel in person-stays, which is defined as a visitor trip made to a specific locale within the state, thus allowing a single person to be counted multiple times on a single trip.
2014 Highlights (source: TNS TravelsAmerica)
- Approximately 78% of California's domestic leisure visitors in 2014 were residents of California
- Top states for in-bound leisure travel were:
- Nevada (3.1%)
- Arizona (3.0%)
- Texas (1.5%)
- Washington (1.2%)
- Oregon (1.2%)
- Illinois (1.02)
View the complete 2014 Domestic Travel to California report by TNS TravelsAmerica
Full year-end reports on travel to and within California by California residents and out-of-state residents include trip characteristics, visitor origins and demographics. These reports have been compiled by D.K. Shifflet & Associates Ltd.
View previous years: 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004
International Travel to California
- California had 16.5 million international person-trips in 2014 (source: Tourism Economics)
- 7.3 million were from overseas origins
- 7.6 million were from Mexico
- 1.6 million were from Canada
- California's top overseas markets in 2014 (source: CIC Research Inc.)
View the complete 2014 Overseas and Mexican Visitors to California report by CIC Research Inc.
Full year-end reports detailing visitor profiles and trip characteristics of travel to California from top overseas markets and for Mexican air travelers.
View previous years: 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002
Historical lodging reports are no longer available on this site. Please contact Smith Travel Research if you would like to inquire about historical data: (615) 824-8664.