Economic Impact of Travel in California
Projected 2014 Highlights (source: Dean Runyan Associates)
- Total direct travel spending in California was $117.5 billion in 2014, a 3.6% increase from 2013.
- Travel spending in California directly supported 1,027,000 jobs, with earnings of $38.1 billion.
- Travel spending in 2014 generated $4.2 billion in local taxes and $5.1 billion in state taxes.
View the most recent report here: California Travel Impacts 1992-2014p, by Dean Runyan Associates
View Prior Years: 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007
Interactive County Travel Impact Reports
Create your own charts and tables showing statewide or specific county travel spending, jobs, and tax impacts.
(source: Dean Runyan Associates)
Quarterly Travel Search Trends (nSight)
View previous reports: Q4 2014, Q3 2014
Domestic Travel to California
California was the destination for a million domestic person-trips in 2013. A person-trip is defined as a visitor trip made to a specific location and does not tally multiple stops within the specified location on a single trip. Whereas in previous years, Visit California reported domestic travel in person-stays, which is defined as a visitor trip made to a specific locale within the state, thus allowing a single person to be counted multiple times on a single trip.
2014 Highlights (source: TNS TravelsAmerica)
- Approximately 78% of California's domestic leisure visitors in 2014 were residents of California
- Top states for in-bound leisure travel were:
- Nevada (3.1%)
- Arizona (3.0%)
- Texas (1.5%)
- Washington (1.2%)
- Oregon (1.2%)
- Illinois (1.02)
View the most recent report here: 2013 Domestic Travel to California, by TNS TravelsAmerica
Full year-end reports on travel to and within California by California residents and out-of-state residents includes trip characteristics, visitor origins and demographics. These reports have been compiled by D.K. Shifflet & Associates Ltd.
View Prior Years: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004
International Travel to California
- California had a projected 16.3 million international person-trips in 2014 (source: Tourism Economics)
- 7 million were from overseas origins
- 7.6 million were from Mexico
- 1.6 million were from Canada
- California's top overseas markets in 2013 (source: CIC Research Inc.)
View the most recent report here: Overseas and Mexican Visitors to California, 2012 by CIC Research Inc.
Full year-end reports detailing visitor profiles and trip characteristics of travel to California from top overseas markets and for Mexican air travelers.
View Prior years: 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002
International Travel Trade Forecasts: Includes current quarter data and projections for the following two quarters.
Historical lodging reports are no longer available on this site. Please contact Smith Travel Research if you would like to inquire about historical data: (615) 824-8664.