California Advertising Effectiveness
Visit California has tracked the effectiveness and ROI of its advertising efforts for many years, using the same
methodology since 2004. The research efforts follow the same pattern so that results will be comparable
to past years.
Advertising research is conducted in two phases.
Phase 1 is conducted immediately after the conclusion of an ad run and measures:
- The reach of the campaign
- Reactions to the creative
- The impact of the campaign on changing attitudes toward California
- The ways in which the campaign influenced consumer interest in visiting the state
Phase 2 of the advertising research is conducted after a period of time deemed reasonable to allow for travel
which is related to advertising exposure. It measures:
- Incremental travel and spending associated with Visit California's marketing efforts
- ROI as determined by this travel spending in relation to campaign expenditures
Visit California and its research partner, Strategic Marketing and Research Insights LLC, attempt to be conservative in calculating ROI by only considering incremental travel and not influenced travel. Also, in estimating total audience, Visit California considers only its target demographic and not the whole population exposed to the advertising.